I must admit that when my husband brought up the idea of taking a road trip to Oklahoma City, I thought winter had gotten the best of him.
But I agreed to go and when I sat down to write a Top 10 list of the best things - I ended up with way more than 10!!
1. EDGEMERE PARK - Yes, the picture I showed you last blog post of the cute little house we had rented for the week was in a neighborhood of bungalows and stately mansions built in the 1930's. The neighborhood is on the National Register of Historic Places. Dennis and I walked this beautiful neighborhood each morning and the weather was wonderful!!
2. THE BRICKTOWN DISTRICT - A big time renovation project in the heart of downtown OKC. It reminds me of San Antonio on a smaller scale. We had a great meal at the Bricktown Brewery. Happy Hour featured the in house brews for $2.50 a glass. I can say they were all good!!
3. SELL A METRO HOME.COM - I found this great blog online before our trip and made arrangements for Kristyn to show us the sights. And that she did!! She was wonderful and filled to the brim with information. What a find!
Thank you, Kristyn! All these finds listed were because of YOU!!
4. BIG TRUCK TACOS - on the renovated 23rd Street in Uptown.
Saving the World - one taco at a time!
5. MC CALEB HOMES - We have lived in many homes in many cities but have never come across a home builder doing something so different. This builder is building Bungalow Homes based on the designs in the historic neighborhoods of OKC. Yes, a NEW historic home!! On my, the neighborhoods and the homes were awesome. Step inside and it was amazing!! Each home had a swing on the front porch, too!
That's me, on the swing! Just had to try it!!
6. THE MULE - We headed to the Plaza District one evening and had a light dinner at The Mule. It is all about Hot Melts and Cold Beer. All of the sandwiches are a take on the grilled cheese. I ordered the Macaroni Pony. It was on sliced jalapeño cornbread with chipoltle BQ pulled pork, three cheese mac and cheese and pickles. WOW! And my beer choice was Dead Armadillo Amber. How can you beat that???
7. THE PIE JUNKIE - Across the street from The Mule is The Pie Junkie. I was really full but had to buy piece of pie to take with me. I settled on Apple Blueberry - which I had the next morning for breakfast with my coffee. Signature Pies included Macadamia Key Lime, Almond Joy, Peanut Butter Chocolate S'More, Bird Dog (Blackberry Whiskey Buttermilk), Drunkin' Turtle and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie.
8. THE LYRIC THEATER - Look what we found on the "to do" list.
A brand new mystery/romance about two couples from different eras who discover what it means to risk everything you have and everything you believe for love………….
9. DANCE MAKERS - We just had to find a dance studio in OKC because we brought our dance shoes!! So we stopped at Dance Makers - where we met Michael!! After a very intriguing conversation - as he realized what a fun couple we were - he invited us back one night for a dance lesson and party! Our dance steps may have been a little different, but we held our own and had a lot of fun. Many of the dance community were very friendly. Thank you, Michael!
10. UPTOWN GROCERY - I think it always fun to go into a local grocery store. Kristyn sent us here and is an upscale design inspired by the classic New York Warehouse District. A spin on Whole Foods with regular groceries, too! We had our lunch there two days and really enjoyed the variety of iced teas.
11. POPS - Indeed, heading out on Historic Route 66, we came to POPS! It is a must see with a rainbow of every kind of soda lining the glass walls. There is a giant pop bottle out front that is 66' tall and weighs over 4 tons. So, of course, we had a Root Beer!
12. ESKIMO JOE'S - On our way out of town, we drove through Stillwater, Oklahoma. Since we are Big 12 fans, we wanted to take a look at the campus. Kristyn said not to miss Eskimo Joe's, where cheese fries are the specialty and chicken sandwiches are listed under - The Fowl Thing. Eskimo Joe's is voted best post game hangout in Sporting News and #3 in the Perfect 10 College Sports Bar by Sports Illustrated. We had to pose for this picture so you knew we were there!!
Hey! We were on vacation!!!!!